Monday, February 24, 2014

Highlights

 
Hello beautiful people!

It's pretty a good week here in the boot of Missouri.
I was finally able to meet another one of our investigators who previously disappeared for a while. His name is Donald Brandonburg. He's a pretty crazy guy with an odd sense of humor, but he seems great! He willingly lets us in and absorbs everything the missionaries teach him. He had a baptismal date for last Saturday but that obviously didn't happen. We will work with him to get the ball rolling again.
Our investigator Whoopie is doing alright. She wants to meet with us every day; she loves being taught. She's just not progressing very well. We found a ride for her to church but she cancelled last minute, saying she had to go to Arkansas for some reason. We will continue working with her to help her keep commitments.
I saw something really cool this week: We were helping a family rake leaves in their humongous yard when we heard a strange, distant noise. It grew louder, coming from above. We looked up and beheld the most birds I have ever seen in my entire life. There had to be literally thousands of them, flying at least half a mile high, towards us from the south. They all cawed and cooed and squawked, creating quite a majestic noise. Imagine 10 thousand Indians making a war cry. They flew right over us. No matter where you looked above, you saw birds. Scores of them! There were so many biiiiirds!!! It was quite remarkable.

But the highlight of this week is even cooler:
There's a member in this ward who loves to take us to dinner. He even makes us choose where to go. Well, one night we were driving to meet him at the church where he would then drive us to our dining place of choice, which this time was Hardees. Elder Julian and I both just wanted a good hamburger. However, as we were driving to meet the member at the church we passed a Pizza Hut. I saw it and instantly for some odd reason wanted that instead. I looked at Elder Julian, who was also looking at the Pizza Hut, and said, "Does Pizza Hut sound good to you too?"
He gave me a very affirmative "Yes." and just like that our decision, as well as our mutual craving, was changed. We rendezvoused with the member and soon arrived at pizza hut.
We were brought to our table and the waitress stood there for a moment without saying anything until she asked us, "You guys are Mormons, right?" We gave a smile and a resounding "Yes!"
She then explained to us that she and her husband had previously taken the discussions from missionaries in Utah, but due to certain circumstances they had to move into her mothers house and therefore were not allowed to invite the missionaries over anymore. Then they moved to Missouri. A couple years have passed but just two weeks ago they both had the feeling that they needed to find the Mormon missionaries again and bring them to their home.
Lo and behold, God led us to eachother. We got the information we needed and scheduled an appointment with them for this week! She wants to be baptized really badly, but she especially wants to be sealed in the temple with her family. What an honorable goal! I can't wait to work with them to get them there!
It is awesome to see how the Lord works to help us find people. It is no coincidence that both our craving were simultaneously changed in an instant. The Lord is definitely managing His work. How blessed I am to be in His employ! I love my job! :)

I hope all of you are doing well and recognizing the blessings in your life as I have been lately. I know if we just try and focus on the blessings, we will realized more and more.
I love you all so much and hope y'all have a good week.
THERE! I said it. Y'all!
-Elder Curtis :D

 Mike and Adrienne from Jefferson City
Posterity Photo: Left to right: Elder Vincent (my trainer), me, Elder Ivey (my trainee), and Elder Odom (Elder Iveys trainee)

No comments:

Post a Comment