Friday, May 15, 2015

March 23, 2015

It was a rather eventful week, or at least a lot more interesting than what usually happens in a typical missionary week. I don't know that I'll be able to remember all that happened but I'll give my best shot.
First. Last week I mentioned that we would be driving up to Springfield to play some sports with a bunch of other missionaries. (That alone makes this week much more interesting than our typical week in Litchfield) The first game we played was kickball. I was the only one who scored a home run. Woot! My team still lost by one point though.
Next we played football. It was the last play of the game, it was all tied up and we had possession of the ball. It was 2nd and goal with about 9 yards to go for a touchdown. The ball gets snapped and I take off for a pass. I get open as I cut for the middle. The ball gets passed just ahead of me so I pick up speed, my eyes fixed on catching it. Just when the ball was inches from my hands I came to a very sudden halt as I crashed face first into the field goal post. I rebounded to the ground where I realized what just happened. I couldn't believe I did that. All the Elders gathered around me, I tried to get up but they refused me. The FIRST thing that was said was "Oh man! You're going to need stitches."
I had a big gash just above my right eye and another smaller one to the side of that. Blood ran down my head as I was lying there supine so it looked like I had Indian war paint! I also bit a good chunk of my upper lip out (the exact same spot that was bitten out a few years ago playing church ball).
The zone leaders decided I should go to an urgent care as asap as possible so before they got me to the car I asked for a priesthood blessing and then we left.
We got to the Springfield Clinic and after the waiting process they brought me in and saw me. Well they wanted to give me a CT scan for some reason, but didn't have the people to do working then so they insisted that we go straight to the E.R.
We got to the E.R. and waited and waited until I was admitted into a room and to cut it short I did not need the scan but they took several other tests, x-rays of my arm and random exercises. After several 6 hours of that, rotating through several different doctors, one finally took another look at my eye and said surprisingly "Oh, you're going to need stitches!" It took them that long to figure out the only thing I needed them to do was give me the stitches when one missionary noticed it immediately. Haha
After another hour and a half we got out with five stitches on my face. We were hungry and tired and we didn't get back into Litchfield until11:35pm.
Don't run into stationary objects. Especially really hard ones like metal poles.
I got the stitches out on Friday.

The next day we had an appointment set up with someone we tracted into named Jeff. He's 20 and living with his girl friend in her parents house. The lesson was really good. It was mostly just introductory stuff with a lot of testimony and promises. The Spirit was really strong and his eyes watered at least three times. He is looking hard for a job so he can get transportation and a phone and so he can take care of his two month old son. He really wants to learn more and he also really wants his girl friend to be there when we see him tomorrow!

Later on in the week we had another appointment scheduled with a potential investigator, Lori, and we were pleasantly surprised to have her 12 year old grandson, Keenan, join us because he's "extremely intrigued" by us. It was a really good lesson about the atonement and the grace of Jesus Christ. Two more new investigators! YEAH!

This week was transfer calls. I am staying here in Litchfield but I am losing Elder Anderson. He is now in the mission office. Because of certain things he has to do as an office Elder before transfer meeting he had to leave this morning instead of Wednesday. So right now I'm in a temporary tri-companionship with some missionaries from Taylorville IL. My next companion's name is Elder Abbott. I don't know anything about him yet. We'll see on Wednesday.

Hmm, I know there's more that happened this week. I can't remember though. I think I'll close anyway. I'm trying to attach pictures of Monday but it won't let me. I'll keep trying.

I hope you all have a wonderful week. I love you!

-Elder Curtis

Oh, and for those of you with the sharp comments on my inability to contain myself while giving talks in sacraments meeting... Trust me, I'm working on it. But until then:

"Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word?"

"For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe."

"blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it."

"Hearken, O ye people of my church, saith the Lord your God, and hear the word of the Lord concerning you" gladly I might add. It's not like you have anything better to do. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment