Friday, May 15, 2015

March 9, 2015



I was going to start off this email telling how great this week was, but then I thought, "why was it such a great week?" It was a great week. I am extremely happy. But when I thought about it there wasn't too much reason to share that would explain the happiness I have.
-Monday: all of our appointments in the evening fell through. None of our back up plans got us in anywhere.
-Tuesday: Every appointment fell through. Went tracting- every door that opened greeted us with rude comments, glares and gestures. No new potentials.
-Wednesday: Get dropped by text by Roger during studies. Says his church is all he needs (we will be stopping by later anyway). Every appointment fell through, including service. No new potentials.
-Thursday: District Meeting in Springfield- enjoyable but half our day is gone. Every appointment fell through. More rude people. No new potentials.
-Saturday: Show up to our appointment with the Tofte's, two of our more promising investigators- they drop us and denounce The Book of Mormon even though they only read the first 12 chapters three weeks ago and haven't picked it up since. Every other appointment fell through. No new potentials.
-Sunday: Our phone doesn't switch the hour automatically? Late to church. No investigators come. Our appointment with Brian cancels.
Not the most ideal week and certainly not very common to the idea of fun and happiness. So when I was going to start this letter why did I truthfully want to exclaim how wonderful the week was?
Throughout the week I never realized how poor our week was to the natural point of view. To many this would not make sense. But to me it makes perfect sense. When we do what the Lord would have us do each day and then capitalize on the good things and search the good in the bad things surely and instinctively we will be blessed with joy and peace of mind.
"I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."
When we do what as we are commanded He says "I, THE LORD, am BOUND" He is bound to bless us. And not by some pitiful man made bond, a celestial, eternal, divine, all powerful, unbreakable bond. Surely when we do as the Lord commands we are greatly blessed. Every time. Sometimes we are left wondering where the blessings are. Don't worry, they're there. Sometimes we need to look harder and deeper, but when we do we find them and we gain a deeper love and stronger relationship and trust with our Father when we do look for them. Sometimes I think when the blessings are not immediate to us it's because Heavenly Father wants us to become a little stronger in faith and better in noticing that which is spiritual. There is much we can learn from how/when He gives us the blessings.
In January I started The Book of Mormon over again. Yesterday I finished Fourth Nephi and began Mormon. Throughout the entire record we see example after example of the Lord blessing and prospering His people but soon enough the people forget and as a result stiffen their necks and harden their hearts until they are willfully rebelling against God and pay no mind to the counsel given to them by the prophets. How quick are they to forget the goodness of God, the blessings, the miracles, the joy and the life He has given them when they are faithful.
"Thus we see how quick the children of men do forget the Lord their God, yea, how quick to do iniquity, and to be let away by the evil one." (Alma 46:8)
We may not be doing iniquity after bad moments, bad days, or bad weeks or even years come, but how quick are we to forget still the many blessings we have? Capitalize on the highlights, on the good, and on the blessings. If you do you will find blessings where you didn't know you had them. How can we make it easier to do that? I think a formula was given already: do what the Lord would have you do [always]. Always be caught doing the work of the Lord. You'll find you only have time to be happy and pleased. That I promise. It is written that Christ is "An High Priest of good things to come". I have a strong testimony of that.
-Friday: Had a lesson with Brandon and his less active grand parents-set a baptismal date for April 11. Correlation meeting with the branch mission leader- he's felt discouraged lately. We had a beautiful opportunity to lift him up; the Spirit was so strong as testimonies were shared and hope was illuminated. We traveled to a small town called Raymond- knocked the wrong door, found a less active member; great discussion. Knocked the correct door- met a less active family, they are desirous to come back, they've been teaching their three children about the gospel for a while now, the 10 year old wants to be baptized, all of them are thirsty for change. Had a great lesson with an investigator named Mike- fellowship was made, understanding was increased, desire increased with it. Had some extra time afterward- decided to call unknown contacts in the phone just because we could- set up two appointments with people interested in learning more from us. That's two potentials with a set appointment, one unexpected visit with a less active member, three lessons with a member present, and one new investigator. There was a gorgeous sun set that evening as well. I love those.
In Moroni's promise in Moroni 10:3-5, I think there's a reason he exhorts us to first remember how merciful the Lord has been to us from the beginning. It makes us grateful. Gratitude, as taught by President Uchtdorf, is a catalyst for obtaining all Christ-like attributes.
Remembering He has been merciful and knowing He will always be merciful, let us seek His guidance and do His will. His blessings are there. I hope that I will remember how merciful the Lord has been to me. I know that when I do and when I obey Him I will be happy and I will have peace of mind and conscience no matter what life throws my way. I have a personal witness that that is true, and I know it's true for all of us.
"Therefore, what I say unto one I say unto all". Let's all do what He wants.
I know Heavenly Father has infinite and perfect love for each of us. He sent His Son to offer Himself up lovingly as a sacrifice so that we can return to His presence. We are eternally indebted to Him for that.
I love all of so much. I am grateful for the light you are to me and the love I receive from you. I feel it. Have a blessed week, finding the blessings around you.


Sure love ya!
-Elder Curtis :)

No comments:

Post a Comment