Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Dec. 29, 2014

Hi guys!

It's been a very bitter-sweet weekend. The exciting and happy news is that Virginia and Deosha were baptized!!! It was a wonderful, simple ceremony and the Spirit was so strong! Baptisms are the best! However, the next day (Sunday) was supposed to be their confirmation but only Virginia showed up. We were afraid that would happen since Deosha doesn't like to cooperate very much in the mornings and Virginia doesn't like to force her to do things. But Virginia assures us that Deosha is coming next week. What will help with that is our time for church will be changing to 11am instead of9am. Some depressing news about transfer calls: Elder Lazaro is leaving Urbana to serve in the Spanish area. I will be staying and will serve with an Elder Andersen. I don't know a thing about him other than he has red hair. I'm sure we'll get along quite well though. I will severely miss Elder Lazaro. These two transfers have been the fastest, and most enjoyable so far.
On the other hand, this transfer is bringing me the relief I've been hoping for; I am no longer a district leader! They made another one of the Elders in my district the DL. Now I can just focus on what I'm doing and worry about me and my companion. It will be such a nice change.

I have some really cool info. that some of you might be interested in. There is a rumor lingering around the world that George Lucas investigated the church. Well Elder Lazaro has an older brother who is serving in the Santa Rosa California Mission, which happens to be where George Lucas lives and his brother just so happens to be serving in the area that he lives in. Elder Lazaro asked his brother if they have a teaching record for George Lucas, and he confirmed that they do. He investigated back in the 90's and the most recent reason he was dropped was because his butler who answers the door all the time is really mean to them and wont let them in.
I just thought that was pretty cool so I thought I'd share.

I've been learning so much lately. Or at least gaining a greater understanding of many things. The downside to being a missionary is I don't have as much time to study what I want. I've gained such a desire to learn and keep learning more and more about the gospel and seeking more, new knowledge. All I want to do is keep studying and keep discussing it. Elder Lazaro, the other Elders in my district and I love to have doctrinal discussions all the time. I'd love to continue sharing with you things I am learning but there simply is no time. Again, the worst thing about being a missionary: the lack of time. But I hope all of you are engaged in daily, if not constant study and seeking greater understanding of the things pertaining to the Kingdom of God. It is vitally important that you are. It is what we take with us after we die and it is what will help us be in a better position during and after this life.
I love the gospel and the knowledge that comes in it. I know it is true. There is no doubt in my mind of the things the gospel teaches for I know them from experience. They are true and they are of great importance and worth. It is of greatest worth to declare and share it with others that we all may gain a knowledge of Christ, that through Him we may gain eternal life. I can't wait for that. Let's all step up our game and try harder to learn and grow from our own efforts. No matter how much you think you know about the gospel you know next to nothing. There is still so much to learn personally. One of the great blessings of keeping the word of wisdom is we shall have treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures. But what's the point of keeping the word of wisdom if we're not going to use the blessings offered to us for obeying it? The blessing is the opportunity to gain knowledge and power from the absolute truths of God. But that's only available upon our seeking for it. So if you're not seeking it, get seeking now.

I love all of you very much! I hope you all have a very wonderful week and a happy new year!! I can't believe it's already 2015. Yikes!



-Elder Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment